8/11/20

DECORATING IN THE TIME OF COVID19


How are you doing with life in this pandemic?  

Life, seemingly overnight, went from meeting with clients, shopping and designing for clients and monthly social gatherings for food, design and crafts at my house; to meeting with clients and then binge watching Netflix or reruns with The Hubs on the sofa and the dog curled at our feet.  I enjoyed the fact that business seemed to speed up rather than shut down - more people spending more time at home = "Ugh...I really need to redo this room"... but I missed my friends.  I missed church.  I missed family gatherings.

I hate masks. 

Its not that I haven't been busy.  Taxes and the linen closet kept me busy awhile. The junk drawer is cleaned, the dresser for table linens is organized, the sideboard has been sorted and items selected for Goodwill. I've become adept at online shopping and gift buying.

I've made a list of the projects I want to complete over the next few months

it's very long

so I have a lot of things to occupy my time, provided I can get off the sofa.

(I may not actually be looking forward to cleaning out the garage.)

We feel grateful that Covid19 hasn't severely impacted us or our family. We are actually doing well. The Hubs and I enjoy each other's company, and my son keeps in touch via phone, text and the occasional lovely visit. The rioting around the nation is concerning and gives us more reason to spend more time at home with those we love. Keith retired a couple of years ago, but he misses working out at the gym. I haven't stopped working although business is done a little differently now - with masks, hand sanitizer, online shopping, social distancing and via Skype.

While I enjoy spending more time at home, I fear I'm not adjusting well to the new world in which we live. I believed spending more time at home meant I would have lots of time to be creative.  I thought I'd finish the decorating projects I'd put off in my own home and catch up on all those unfinished sewing, crafting projects sitting in the closet. I believed this could be a little gift of time for me - at last, time to do all the things that I'd put off until I had more free time.

I planned to sew masks.  I planned to catch up on the projects I didn't get to do last year...

Instead, I discovered I was waiting. Waiting for things to get back to normal. While snuggling on the couch and gardening and cleaning out drawers, I was mentally holding my breath. Beneath the busy work was stress I was ignoring. I wasn't worried I was going to become ill.  I was worried our lives in this pandemic would be our new norm and that they would be impacted forever - that we would always need masks and be afraid to touch each other.  I was worried about friends, family, neighbors and beyond - whose lives have been or could be severely altered by the disease or the economic downturn.

I worried we would all become hermits

(if you could have seen The Hubs' hair last month you would totally believe that)
and would never be able to go to a ball game, wedding, concert or gathering of friends again. 

Stress can totally stunt your creativity.
But, I want to change that.  I want to find ways to move forward in this pandemic. I know a lot of you need a project to keep you busy at home, or a creative outlet even if you are busy, and so do I.

Something that isn't cleaning.

Please.

I want to stop waiting for things to get back to 'normal'.

I'd love to know what projects you are planning/attempting/doing and how you are weathering the pandemic.

That's what the comment section is for - lets connect!

The times...they are a changing.


10 comments:

  1. Yes, Exactly.

    Same here. So now I know it wasn't about available time, it was all about what I actually do with free time.

    We are also back to work here. It got a little dicey there for a minute but a couple months in and we are busy again.

    Is it wrong to wish for a slice of that quiet time again, only this time knowing it all ends well?!

    All The Best, Debra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, it is all a little bittersweet, don't you think?

      Delete
  2. I’m feeling the ‘weight’ of this, it’s as though I can’t take a deep breath cause there’s a heaviness upon me (and no, it’s not the weight I’ve gained from sheltering at home). I’m trying to be optimistic, but as you’ve mentioned, I feel creatively stunted. I’ve made over a hundred and fifty cards and I just finished the Halloween banner that I didn’t get to last year, but there’s so much more I want to do! I’ve recommitted to watercolor and will see where that takes me. I’ll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You put me to shame, girl! I have the same banner....not done!

      Delete
  3. It's fun to hear how you are doing. We have been blessed during Covid to have all our kids back in Texas and it's been wonderful. I also hate masks and miss girl gatherings a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, so good to hear from you and that your family is well and together!

      Delete
  4. Love you to pieces.... Thank you for all your wonderful work on Lake Arrowhead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you back, miracle man! So happy to hear you are having great success with rentals and hope you are getting some Lake time too!

      Delete
  5. I miss so much...and yet, there are things that have been incredibly sweet. We're lucky to be surrounded by so much family. Our social circle has grown impossibly small and those few connections make the nearest, even more, the dearest. Our house and yard have both finally gotten a smidgeon of the attention they've desperately needed for years. I feel more like myself than I have in decades. One morning while bike riding with my grandchildren it occurred to me that I hadn't felt this free since the summer vacations of my childhood. Nothing on my calendar. No commitments. It's blissful and yet frightening to think the life we loved may not return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristy, as usual you have put it so beautifully. I have a sign by my door that reminds me each time I enter and leave "We have so much to be thankful for" (signs can't always be relied on to have good grammar).

      Delete

Highly intelligent comments from amazing readers...

WHAT DID YOU MISS?

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...