7/10/19

TIDYING UP

I've been bitten by the tidying bug.  I can't believe I've already watched the whole first season of Marie Kondo's Tidying Up.  I was watching while cleaning the kitchen the other day, and my tea towel drawer is now meticulously organized... I was even able to engage The Hubs in a couple of episodes and he is game to try it out.

So here's what I love about her method...  She doesn't tell you to get rid of stuff.  I have stuff.  I have business stuff, and sentimental stuff, and home decor stuff, and family stuff and some of my mother's stuff and some of The Hubs mother's stuff - stuff I inherited, stuff I feel guilty tossing, stuff I need, stuff I might need someday, paper stuff, holiday stuff, fabric stuff, design stuff, client stuff, photo stuff, garden stuff, craft stuff.....

I have stuff.

She simply asks that what you keep "Sparks Joy".

Not guilt.

Joy.

I can do that.

The Hubs can do that.

"Marie Kondo’s lessons show that in focusing on what does not make you happy, you’re only inviting unhappiness into your life. If you look around your home and dwell on those items you can’t stand, you’re just generating more negativity.  Pick up an item, touch it and ask yourself if it “sparks joy” in your life. If not, set it aside.  KonMari states that you must touch every single item before you get rid of it. There’s no need to bring any “rational thinking” into the mix at this stage. You need to feel the item. Use your emotions and feelings to make a determination as to whether or not you’re going to keep something."

You are supposed to start with your clothing, but I was in the middle of folding tea towels as I watched... so...in my tea towel drawer, I put the ones that I wanted to keep.  They matched my kitchen, they were unstained, fresh and clean.  I folded them the Konmari way.  The drawer is a sight to behold.  It sparks joy.

Kondo has come up with what she believes the ideal order to tidy up.  Instead of room by room, she asks you to tidy by category:  Clothes; Books; Papers; Miscellany; Sentimental.   I would need to add creative to that, since its big enough to have its own category at my house.
She also thanks the things she discards for their place or service in her life.
She talks to the house. (to suss out its spirit -)
She shows respect.
She sparks joy.

She's adorable.

I'm ready to attack my house - are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Highly intelligent comments from amazing readers...

WHAT DID YOU MISS?

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...