4/21/13

WHITE WASH

I THINK I COULD LIVE IN THE SOUTH
Prior to this, when anyone said 'whitewash' I thought of Tom Sawyer whitewashing Aunt Polly's fence.
Whitewash, or calciminekalsominecalsomine, or lime paint is a low-cost type of paint made from slaked lime (calcium hydroxide) and chalk (whiting). (Wikipedia)

While researching painted brick homes, I came across this treatment for transforming nondescript red brick into something else entirely.     


Apparently this is quite common in the Southern United States. From the size of these beautiful homes, I don't think that cost is the issue - I think it has become a popular look. Applications vary, but there is always a little of the red brick showing through, and sometimes a lot of red.

 It has a time-worn, weathered look I find appealing.  It softens the look makes it more approachable.
When limewash is initially applied it has very low opacity, which can lead novices to overthicken the paint. Drying increases opacity, and subsequent curing increases opacity even further. (Wikipedia)
I've never been a huge fan of 'new looking' dark red brick.  This treatment has a softening effect on the red for me.
 And face it, it is just plain gorgeous.
I live in 'stucco land' here in Southern California.  Brick homes are rare.  

 But if I ever lived in an area where brick homes were prevalent, I'd definitely need to have this done.  It looks elegant and sophisticated without being stuffy.
[This reminds me of the used brick patios and walkways that were popular in the 80's here in California.]

 Love the black shutters.  Would be perfection with a black door.
 I wonder how difficult it is to get the application just right?  Seems like an unpracticed hand could really mess  it up.  According to Wikipedia, the lime isn't very opaque in the beginning, and the white appears as it dries and cures.  The inexperienced may get it too white, or too thick because of this.
I wasn't sure at first, but the more I see of this treatment,

the more I like it

In fact, I'm quite sure I could live in the South

I love Southern architecture, whether old or new

it just has great details, and charm

I'm a fan of Southern decorating style - traditional with a little rustic thrown in for good measure and to make sure you don't take yourself too seriously

I love the hospitality, the food, the style and the music - the green, the tall trees, the gardens.... - 
and my DH's family is originally from the South

 - and now I have whitewash to add to my list.

 I'm quite SMITTEN
What do you think?


A quick answer to a question, since I got a little carried away with the whole whitewash topic...:)


Hi Claudine, 
I would love your opinion! I need some guidance with choosing a paint color.  I've sent two photos; one showing the window trim color and the other showing the furniture colors in the room. Excuse the mess! I'm in the middle of stripping wallpaper. It is a large south facing room but the only sources of light are from the window and the doors shown in the photo. I plan to replace the white shades with brown bamboo roman shades. I also want to add pops of navy, aqua, and red or orange to add color with pillows and accessories.



I can't decide between SW Quiver Tan or Universal Khaki.  I would use SW softer tan for the trim with either paint color. Do you like either of these choices for the wall color? If so, which one is the best choice or do you have a suggestion for another color? I like shades in the gray family too but am at a loss as to which shade, if any, would look good.  Any help you can provide will be so appreciated! Thank you!!
Susan



Hi Susan,
The colors are good colors, I'm just a little concerned about how dark the Quiver Tan is and the fact that your room (first photo) looks a little dark to begin with.  Usually a healthy dose of white trim helps with the darker grays/beiges, but your trim is wood toned (or are you painting it?) 

Sherwin Williams QUIVER TAN
 The Universal Khaki might be the best best.  Again, this color looks great with a healthy dose of white trim and white accents.
Sherwin Williams UNIVERSAL KHAKI
 You might also try SW Pavilion Beige (below) which is more taupe than beige but still in the gray tones.  Wood tones look nice with this color too.  Your paint samples on the wall were perfect, by the way.  With the white border, it is less likely to be influenced by the green currently on the walls.
Sherwin Williams PAVILION BEIGE
 Good luck!


2 comments:

  1. I've used Quiver Tan a number of times and yes it is quite dark and reads olive green in some lights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie,
      Thanks for this comment. It's great to hear from someone who has used the color. !

      Delete

Highly intelligent comments from amazing readers...

WHAT DID YOU MISS?

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...