7/23/14

GREAT IDEAS FOR PATIOS AND DECKS ( AND JESSICAS HOUSE COLORS)

A GIRL CAN DREAM
Lately, I have completely ignored the outside areas of my home
and it really needs some attention...

but while curb appeal is important, there are other outdoor areas to consider...

I think it is just as important to have a little private spot

to relax, read, bird watch, and entertain

Here's my outdoor to do list...

1.  GUTTER SYSTEM FOR DECK
I'm dying to do this to my deck off my master bedroom - not for the deck itself, but so that when it rains I can still sit outside under the deck with a book and 
leave my furniture cushions in place without them getting soaked
so I could actually go from this... to this...
I would love to be able to eat outside with the rain sprinkling around us ...
There are a few companies that do this - I'm looking into this one

2.  FENCE REPAIR...
no brainer - its just old and falling down...

3. MOVE THE BUILT-IN BARBECUE
because the previous owner put it right smack in the middle of the patio - 
the BBQ really needs to be moved to the edge of the patio 
and while we are at it.... can we do this too?....

4.  ADD AN OUTDOOR FIREPLACE
so I have somewhere to roast my marshmallows...

An inviting fireplace with the built-in barbecue to the side would be wonderful
on warm summer nights or cool fall evenings...

of course... now it snowballs... 
If I move the BBQ I will need to....

 5. REDO PATIO FLOOR
Belgard pavers would be ideal - I'm a fan of their products - and the patio really needs a facelift
 check Belgard products out here
 they are like the Mercedes Benz of pavers...


 amazing range of color and product style

 6. SIDE YARD REVAMP
although I guess its not really a 'revamp' if it was never finished in the first place...
I'm thinking of a nice crunchy gravel pathway -
(functional for easy pet waste pickup)



but I also really like this look



Its a shady spot, so thinking of some ferns, and lots of green...

more inspiration.....



7. I  NEED A GOOD POTTING BENCH

 with a shelf or two
this is a diy project - cute huh?

This one below is  $900 from Restoration Hardware
seriously?  $900?
I think I'd rather see if Mr. B can make Ana White's version
and maybe add shelves... ?

8.  PATIO FURNITURE
Once the gutter system is installed in the deck above, I can add some deep seating to my patio without it getting destroyed by rain and muck
 - an extension of living space right outside my family room...
(but holy crap, have you seen the prices of patio furniture these days?)
especially sectionals like this..

Ana White thinks I could make my own... 
what do you think?

9. DINING TABLE & CHAIRS

We love eating outside and entertaining there...
but our current round table only seats about 5 people comfortably...
I've been thinking that CraigsList may have some tables for cheap...
Ana has plans for great tables too...
Ana White is so amazing - you have to check out all her plans and tutorials..
she makes you believe you can do it yourself...
anyone have a good handyman who can follow simple plans?

These are all Ana White creations.  Love them.

10.  UPPER DECK DECOR...
I have a good sized deck off my master bedroom..
after a few needed repairs it will be ready to 'deck out'..
 it doesn't have any shade there...
wonder if we can build an arbor over part of it...
or a canopy? 
 not good in wind though..



I will need cozy seating
and plants, too

It seems my outdoor list is nearly as long as my indoor list...
I haven't even mentioned redoing the flower beds
and adding more boxwood..
or repainting the benches

but I did recently redo a flower bed and plant several hydrangea shrubs there...

because I need more hydrangeas in my life...
and more boxwood...
Better go work on that list...
I might actually be able to finish it in say - 5 years? Ha!
*******************************

Hi there-
I have enjoyed reading your blog. I really love your ideas. I am searching for help to pick out stone and exterior colors. I am attaching a picture of our exterior house plans (no stone or detail added)

and a picture of a home that we used as inspiration when designing our home. 
I like the placement of their stone. 

I currently like colors like Anonymous by Sherwin Williams and  Copley Gray by Ben Moore. I am just having such a hard time deciding though. I have no idea what to do color wise with shutters.
 3rd picture is a home that I love the colors/design of.

Any help or advise would be well appreciated!!!
Thanks! Jessica 

Hi Jessica,
I think that stone placement on the 2nd photo is good - not too much, but a nice accent.   And, until you choose your stone you can't really pick out paint.   
Your stone palette, whether it be faux or real stone, will dictate the tones you use in your paint.  
You want something that will compliment the stone.
I would say that Copley Gray is probably a safe bet, based on the fact that most stone veneer will have grays and browns.  But its best to take a swatch with you to the stone samples to have a look.
The white trim always pops nicely against stone, but choose a white that compliments the house color, too.  Some whites are very light grays, 
some are very light beige or cream

if you still need help once you have chosen the stone, email me again with photos and I will be happy to suggest some colors.


Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Highly intelligent comments from amazing readers...

WHAT DID YOU MISS?

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...