11/11/13

KIDS ROOMS

WITH BOYS IN MIND
Calvin & Hobbs wall mural

For those of you creating a space for your little monsters...
there is a cornucopia of ideas and accessories available to you.

in fact, I'm a little jealous.

When my son was young and I was decorating his room - 
there were far fewer choices.

now it seems EVERYTHING is available....
but it is wise not to go too over the top when decorating for your little monsters

via
Remember, they grow up really fast, like in a New York minute,
and that really cute juvenile room is going to get old fast 
as your boy grows and his interests change.
Restoration Hardware

I like to start with the bones of good design:
basic neutral wall color and flooring,
Restoration Hardware
sturdy furniture that will grow with them,
via
classic fabrics,
via
and then roll out the fun accessories for a room they will love, 
but won't break the budget when it comes time to change.


You can create a great room with the basics and a few well placed accessories.
via
and as his Mom and confidant,
via
You know what he's passionate about....
at the moment...

DINOSAURS
via
Restoration Hardware
SPORTS

Restoration Hardware
via
via

TECHNOLOGY

via

CAMPING

via
via

A non-themed room can still say 'boy' all over it
Pinterset
if you use masculine colors
via
and classic fabrics
via
It can still house his treasures
via

it can spark the imagination
via
or subtly teach
via

via

If you don't mind redecorating more often, there are super creative ideas to try
via
How about a climbing wall?

via
or a colorful mural!


With today's trend to Natural History and curiosities,
Restoration Hardware
there are so many ways to add a little learning

Restoration Hardware
Restoration Hardware
along with your fun!

*********************************************************
READER'S QUESTION:

My adorable niece has boundless energy and loads of creativity - which she needs because she has 3 little boys who are bright, energetic and mischievous.  I am flattered she wants my help with Evan and Jared's room.  Its a challenge because her little monsters share a room and have very different passions...Here is her email....


I need your decorating advice!  :)

Evan has now landed on a space themed bedroom.  Jared is still going strong with pirates.  I am trying to figure out the best way to combine these.  Each boy has a dresser top and nightstand to decorate.  Jared's is red and will have a treasure chest and pirate ship lamp.  Evan's is blue.  I don't have anything for Ev yet but I was thinking shuttle and rocket models.  They have bunk beds.  Each will have personalized bedding.  I have decals to decorate Jareds bed-wall space to look like a treasure map.
So I am debating the best way to organize the rest of the room.  I would like to make a solar system on the ceiling.  I could just make a small one over Evan's bed, but Jared loves the idea too. And pirates use the stars to navigate.  :)   So then I thought maybe I should paint the ceiling blue and stretch the solar system over the whole room.  Then maybe make the walls piratey.  I have a ship's wheel to hang, a fun pirate painting, and could also get an anchor and fishing netting.  Sort of divide the room horizontally.  Do you think that would work?  I am worried it might be too busy?  Originally I planned on each boy having one wall to decorate, basicall dividing the room in half vertically.

The paint job lends itself to the horizontal idea.  The upper is a rich blue, the lower is green, and they are divided by a black stripe.  I wasn't planning on repainting the room because I love the colors, but maybe I should rethink that.

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated!  I wish you lived closer so I could have a personal consultation!  :)


Tammy, this is going to be such a fun room when you are done.  I think the horizontal division is the way to go, so that at least the room is the same top and bottom in both their spaces.  It will make the room seem larger than chopping it up into sections. If repainting is a possibility, I'd get rid of the green for some beige sand type color for the pirates.  I also like a Navy or darker blue for a more current look. The blue can be water, the beige can be sand and the ceiling the space/sky.  A solar system would be awesome to see last thing before falling asleep at night.
Something to remember is to go large with the accessories.  Small tends to just turn into clutter in a kids room, and doesn't carry the theme with enough strength.  

Disney allows you to order prints online and they will ship to you.  They have a great vintage 'Pirates of the Caribbean' pirate print I used for my own son's room when he went through the pirate phase.  [I also used the netting.]  The ship's wheel and treasure map is a great idea and there are some great pirate ship accessories - like a jolly roger flag, etc. - available on the internet.

The space one is a little more difficult - does he like space in general - or is he into a particular science fiction cartoon or tv series?  You will know best on this and I trust your judgment as far as accessories go.  Pottery Barn Kids has great bedding.  I think you are on the right track!  Can't wait to see the finished project!
Love
Auntie C

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...