8/14/13

BETTER CURB APPEAL

What is it that gives a home curb appeal?
I think it boils down to just a few elements.  
Think about that home that everyone loves in your neighborhood or town.  
What makes it the envy of the community?

1. Maintenance
denotes pride of ownership when your home is
well maintained and updated
2. Landscaping
not overgrown, or under-planted 
scale is important
well tended, green, healthy
well lighted
3. Charm
the touches that say 
"I'm a well loved home, 
not just a house".

How does your home measure up?

****************************
I need to know what to do with my house for better curb appeal.  

I want to change the door and storm door.  I can't decide on a color.  Shutters too.  The awnings I personally love but should I keep them?  Landscaping ??  Small budget so no add on like porches and such.  I am replacing the shingles to 3D.  Another color choice I need to think about.  Please help me figure this out.  I'm single, just bought this house 7 months ago.. one small dog no grandchildren.. just yet anyway. :-)  I love DIY .  My budget for this project is 1k.  Thats not counting the roof of course.  Any help would be most appreciated.

Such a darling little house!  Its tidy and neat appearance really only needs a little tweaking. 

source
The front door is the first change I would make.  You need to make a statement - 'Welcome, Enter Here'. Something bright or more intense color.  If you can paint the storm door the same color - all the better.

source

source
My first choice would be a glossy black door.  I personally love that look.  You can see below the difference a colored door will make to your white door.
source

Lighting the door is also important.  Your current light is too small and insignificant, so new lantern sconces are important and should be within budget.  I'd put one on each side of the door as everything else about this adorable little house is symmetrical and balanced.  An electrician should be able to pull a wire and install an additional fixture for around $100.

source
source

source
I would also add some potted trees on either side of the front door to further punctuate that area. 

source

source


source

The house is remaining white, and I actually like the dark gray roof and black shutters with a white house. It looks very cottage-y and sweet.  

source


source

 or a slight variation on the theme - like Navy Blue
source
 or charcoal gray
source
You might also consider long shutters on each side of your door to add charm and make it a more prominent element.  That's a simply DIY project!  
source
Add a green growing element on either side of the door for texture and charm.
source

source
The awnings are sweet.  Are they paint-able?  The white kind of disappears against the house.  I think a black and white striped awning would punctuate the windows without overpowering them.    


source
If the awnings are metal, there are paints specifically formulated for metal that should withstand the elements and it may be a simple task to paint them. 

source
 I would also attach window boxes under the windows and fill them with colorful plants - instant charm!
source
I would change that small grass strip on the right side of the walkway into a planting bed with more shrubs and a great place for annual color to brighten your yard.   

source
Eventually you may want to do the same to an area near the tree - but that is something you can do over time.
source
As for roof color - I would definitely stay in the gray/charcoal range to keep within the black/white/gray color scheme.  It will also be a perfect neutral to go with just about anything should you decide to paint your house another color at a future date.

source
I hope these suggestions help.  Good luck, and congratulations on your new home!


link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...