7/1/13

TOO MINTY?

When is a pastel too pastel???


Pastels are beautiful.  They look great as a blouse, a scarf, shoes, and Easter decorations.  On the wall.... 


well lets just say Barbie, Ken and My Little Pony would love it.
  They tend to look juvenile, a little too sugary sweet.....  

 Soft colors can work in adult spaces.  They just have to grow up a little.  

They need to be grayed down and made more neutral. 
or, as I like to call it, dirtied up a little....


like the olive-y green in this room, which totally tones down the baby blue

like the grayed down blue on these walls


and in this bathroom

and even the blue/green tone in this room is a little softened with a touch of the grays


to be grayed down a little doesn't mean it necessarily looks gray
its just not jumping out at you with pigment

I think I could live in this color
soothing, subtle, pastel - but not a pastel - get it?

this is a little grayer.... but still soft and soothing
and still blue

pinks are more tricky
remember to keep them soft, light and veer away from the sugary
or overly bright versions
and that oh so subtle grayed down blue on the wall
really keeps it all just right



this is perfect dirtied down robins egg blue

and this isn't
but this is perfect for a teenager's room....
it's just a little on the 'too much pigment' juvenile side...

the same goes for lavender
the more gray, the more sophisticated and grown up

a good example of keeping the walls subtle
and bringing in the color to life in textiles and accessories....

and now a question about pastels
on the wall


Hi Claudine! I am just discovering your blog via Pinterest, but can't seem to subscribe?...I love your style and advice and have a decorating dilemma. My open floor plan, living/dining/ kitchen area has been Ralph Lauren Sisal for the past 5 years due to my former fear of color.

I am ready for change and chose Benjamin Moore Healing Aloe, but am questioning my decision. My floors are med-dark hardwood, my table and chairs are dark wood, couch and side chair are chocolate velvet, my area rug is sisal, and living room rug is a light gold trellis, my curtains are dark turquoise/smokey blue silk, my granite is beige,  and my crown molding and kitchen cabinets are white. Once I got the room half painted I stopped and have been doubting myself ever since. It seems a little too pastel green, but maybe I'm imagining it??? Do you think I would be better off with BM Grey Wisp or BM Sea Salt?
Thank you so much!!!
Jessie

Hi Jessie,
Well, I would love you to subscribe and appreciate you trying.  Just scroll down on the right side to "Receive new posts by email" and enter your email.  That should do it!

If you have, as you stated, a fear of color - you may want to go a little grayer than Healing Aloe.  As you can see from the photos below, Healing Aloe reacts differently depending on available light, ceiling height, room size, etc.
Atlanta Homes Magazine
Here it is the perfect soft grayish blue/green.  The above room has a lot of light, and tall ceilings.  The creamy white and the Healing Aloe is a perfect pairing.

Still with good light, but lower ceilings, it is a little more minty.
Houzz
and here, with a smaller room, it has a much higher pigment value than the first photo.
So, no matter how much you love a particular paint color - you always need to do a test or sample to see how it plays out in your home, your size room, your light.

Benjamin Moore Grey Wisp is beautiful, and Benjamin Moore Sea Salt is a very light gray.  Gray Owl is also a good hue with a very slight green undertone.  If you liked the idea of a blue-ish green-ish color, you might try:
Atlanta Homes Magazine

Benjamin Moore's Silver Crest - soft gray with just a touch of blue and a whisper of green.
Any of these colors should be a good change and still neutral enough not to scare you.  But, as with any paint color - put some samples up before you commit.

Best wishes!
Claudine

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...