4/2/13

USING A PAINT FAN DECK


FINDING YOUR UNDERTONES
There are thousands and thousands of grays.  From the beige grays to the blue grays, if you can see the undertone, you can pick your perfect color.....


Hi Claudine, thanks so much for your blog!. I have a generic question: Is there a logical way to use color fan decks to find similar colors... other than just looking through the fan. For example, I have Caramels" Tendres Chocolat Noir- Made by Grand Jury Benjamin Moore's Silver Fox on the wall, but it looks a little purple. I'd like something veryclose to Silver Fox, but less purple. Likewise, I love cotswold, but want something just a bit lighter, without going more yellow, more red or more blue. I guess I could add white to Cotswold to make it lighter??? But I've heard that doesn't work well. So, I'm thinking there may be some scientific way to find the shade I want ( i.e., something better than just looking thru the color fan.)
Beth J

Such a good question, Beth.  Look at the photo below.  I pulled up the grays in this Benjamin Moore paint fan.


To the far left, you have the blue undertones.  The middle has definite beige/brown undertones, you should be able to see the closest to no undertones - straight unadulterated gray in there somewhere, and to the right, green and then purple undertones.  These are the undertones.    Look at the bottom shades

and you should be able to distinguish green, blue, purple or brown tone.The best way to see them is in the darker hues near the bottom of the individual paint strips.

By the same token, if you find a shade you like but it's a little too dark, go up - a little too light, go down.  The single strip goes from light to dark in the same value or tone.  Top color is closest to white, bottom closest to black.    Hope that helps!

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...