11/18/12

ITS A GIRL THING

PINK...



I worked on a little girls room, and what better time to post about it
than while we are on the subject of pink.

I interviewed the 10 year old. I always interview kids about their rooms - 
Mostly because it is so fun to listen to their ideas


but also because I think they usually know EXACTLY what they want
Te'a was no exception.
HOT PINK, white and black
and her #1 request, other than color,
was that it have a bulletin board
and a desk
because she loved to pretend she was a teacher

My client (the one that owns the house) had a few requests of her own
1. A place to put all those papers she created while pretending to teach school
2. A surface that was protected from nail polish spills
3. A friendly budget

I immediately found this adorable light fixture:

from Ikea - just $50.00




One of the items I love from Ikea - and not just for kids rooms - is their
and even better,
there are bins available to hide all the little girl clutter
in the perfect colors....

Budget conscious Ikea also had these adorable sconces... just $20
to flank her bed and for her desk...
CUTE DESK CHAIR... $35 FROM IKEA




We found a very cute bed at Target online - just $170.

(we really liked the storage, too)
Also from Target, this desk
Because of possible nail polish spills, I explored the possibility of carpet squares for the flooring. I found this lovely pink plush. Any spills, pop out the affected square, and replace...


AND JUST $2.80 A SQ FT FROM HOME DEPOT
but in the end, we just covered the existing carpeting with a large rug

WALL COLOR? 
 Well, I had this in mind:
SOFT PINK


but what Te'a wanted was this:

You have to understand that Te'a REALLY loved this shade of pink. She didn't want it in small doses...
she wanted to live in it....


I decided to reduce the impact a little by adding a high beadboard wainscoat


nearly done, the bedding, pillows, shelves and desk lamp are from Target.
The white board was framed in white moulding
I created the valance



we created the bulletin board requested by Te'a with fabric wrapped sound board
framed in moulding


I created the valance with ribbon ties
a very girly way to hang a valance


The room was a success for our girl Te'a.
She loves it.
the white takes the impact of the hot pink down a little
you might still need sunglasses, though



link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...