Translate

2/21/13

LIGHTENING A ROOM WITH PAINT


JENNY


Don't be intimidated by gray.  Nearly all grays and greiges play well together.  Gray, cream, beige, greige and charcoal make a pleasing palette.



I recently received a very sweet email with a request from a reader:


Hello
I found your blog while researching paint colours, love your ideas, and paint choices. This is truly a gift you have... I really need advice, and would love to hear your ideas for my main floor..  I am finding it difficult to come up with just the perfect paint colour..

[These are photos of her space now....]

Currently the whole space is tea green, the wall with the mirror runs through into our living room, so would like a colour that continues throughout the space, my sofa and love seat are tan cord with paisley print back and cushions, recliner burgundy..

The colour I like is sandy hook gray, but wonder if the walls should be lighter.. Looking to make it pop..
Anyways those are my thoughts but totally open to your ideas... I am so impressed that you are willing to help me out... It's been a  devastating time ... I want the wow factor and not sure how to get it to pull together...


Another thought, may change my living room furniture, but not for awhile, so any thoughts you may have as to colour, fabric is also welcome.. Currently have a chocolate brown ottoman coffee table.. End tables are antique , mahogany finish.. Not wanting to change them out..

Thanks again..

Dear Jenny,
My first thought was you need light in this space.  I'm recommending a soft, light neutral for the walls.  It will make a world of difference.  Your fresh white trim will make it more modern and give it new life, so to speak.  We need a color that will look good with the burgundy, tans and dark browns of your furniture as well as all of the various wood tones - from your flooring and kitchen cabinets to your medium toned accent tables and espresso dining room set.   There are a lot of wood tones, so I would choose just one color throughout the space to unify your design.  While Sandy Hook is a beautiful Benjamin Moore color, I think your instincts and mine are right about it needing a lighter tone.  I can't think of a better or more beautiful color for your walls than Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter. 

It is a little unimpressive on the paint chip, but a true cameleon on the walls. 

Revere Pewter, Benjamin Moore
It has been named one of the world's most beautiful paint colors by more homeowners and designers than I care to mention and is one of Benjamin Moore's most popular colors, and probably the most popular gray tone. 
Revere Pewter
I don't know of a color that does not pair nicely with Revere Pewter, so it would be my best choice for rooms that you may change furniture in the future.  
Revere Pewter

It is a little cameleon-like - the light will make it look different from room to room, but it is always lovely.  It looks like an unimpressive gray on the swatch, but is wonderful, calm and warm on the walls.
Revere Pewter
If you like a green undertone - like the Sandy Hook - try for a lighter color such as Camouflage by Benjamin Moore as an alternative. 

Benjamin Moore - Camouflage

Even though I'm sold on the Revere Pewter, I always try to give my readers a couple of choices. 
Camouflage
Finally, you have a strong color on your walls right now, so when you put up samples of the new colors, leave a good 2-3 inches of white all around the posterboard so that the green tea color doesn't over power it or bleed through.  Two coats on foam core or poster board should do the trick - that way you can move them around the room, into the other rooms, and see the new colors in different light.

Good Luck!
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...